12 March 2011

6 Nigerians That Make Me Proud

Every time I see or hear a Nigerian name in the mainstream media, my ears perk up. There are numerous 'Naija' professionals out there setting high standards in their professions, and below are six brilliant men and women representing Nigeria powerfully on the world stage:

1. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - The Brilliant Writer

I am an eternal fan. Her poignant, searingly honest writing is awe-inspiring. I own, have read and always recommend all three of her books: Purple Hibiscus, Half of a Yellow Sun and The Thing Around Your Neck, because her succinct style and 'alive' characters make me smile and look back to the book cover, just to see her name again in all its Igbo glory emblazoned on the front. Yes, she really is one of us.

I attended an event in London for the release of her last book, and I along with the audience listened in admiration as she read excerpts from The Thing Around Your Neck in her measured, majestic tone: no forced American flourishes or unnecessary embellishments, just the words from her book spoken in a polished Nigerian accent.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

 Adichie has won many literary awards for her work, her books have sold millions and she is constantly compared to Chinua Achebe. Yet to me, her most important achievement is in capturing the beautiful, the atrocious, the ordinary, the peculiar, the traditional and the historical of Nigerians in the diaspora. She is chronicling our stories and giving voice to our best and our worst, and for that I am thankful.

2. Chiwetel Ejiofor - The Thoughtful Actor

This British-Nigerian actor has appeared in a host of blockbusters including Love Actually, Four Brothers, American Gangster and 2012.

But it is in the small British film Dirty Pretty Things that his quiet confidence and intensity shine through. Playing a noble Nigerian doctor who fled his country to drive taxis and work in a hotel reception in London, his portrayal of an illegal immigrant struggling to do the right thing was a masterclass in subtle emoting.


Chiwetel Ejiofor

His general gracefulness and reluctance to 'live large' is admirable. Perhaps he owes his stoic demeanour to a history of tragedy (his parents fled to Britain from the Biafran war, but on a trip back to Nigeria as a boy he was sitting in the back of a car that crashed killing his father.) Whatever the case, Ejiofor is a class act that makes me proud to be Nigerian.

3. David Olusoga - The BBC Producer

This is most of what I know about this producer is from the website Faber & Faber:
"David Olusoga is an Anglo-Nigerian historian and producer. Working across radio and television, his programmes have explored the themes of colonialism, slavery and scientific racism. He has travelled extensively in Africa, and has been drawn to Namibia and its troubled history for several years. He currently works as a producer for the BBC."
It was after watching a fascinating documentary on BBC Four called Abraham Lincoln: Saint or Sinner that I saw 'David Olusoga' named as the producer. I hurriedly googled it. We might appear in front of the screen, but to produce a programme was another impressive story.

So although I don't know more about him or even what he looks like, his name alone testifies to his achievement as a Nigerian bringing his historical research to the screen.

4. Precious Williams - The Triumphant Journalist

At four months old, this journalist was given away by her rich Igbo mother to a white woman to be raised in an all-white area of Sussex. Williams' subsequent feelings of abandonment, ignorance about her Africaness and confusion about where she belonged (the white family who loved her or the Black mother who looks like her but ignores her?) is documented in her memoir Precious: A True Story.


 Precious Williams

Her story is all the more poignant in light of recent legislation by the British government to allow colour-blind adoption, which would particularly benefit Black kids who are last to be adopted because of a shortage of Black adoptees. Although placing minority children with loving white parents seems decent, Williams has spoken out against it because of her traumatic experience.

Her book was touching and provocative, and her achievements despite it all (she went to Oxford and is now a successful journalist) inspiring. It also made me question our Nigerian culture's high esteem of a Western career even to our detriment, and our desire for our children to 'speak with a posh accent,' both of which were reasons behind Williams' mother's decision to give her away.

5. Seun Osewa - Nairaland Founder 


His website Nairaland is a favourite destination of mine where I go to keep up with what's going on in Nigeria and the diaspora. It's where I learnt that Nigerians, whether Hausa, Yoruba or Igbo; are hilarious, religious, respectful of elders and the institution of marriage, greatly value education and our culture, and, although very critical of certain aspects, are always proud of their country.

I've learnt a lot about relationships, shared my thoughts and reactions with other posters in real time whilst watching the 2010 World Cup, cried with others following the murder of a regular poster and marvelled at the ridiculousness of some of the news that come out of our country. e.g. Woman gives birth to snake.

This online community of millions has been made possible by the genius of website developer Osewa. So for all that Nairaland means to me and many of Nigerians all over the world every day, Thank You.

6. Aliko Dangote - Controversial Billionaire

He is not just a wealthy Nigerian worth $13.8 billion, he made it into Forbes' List as the Richest Black man in the world. Dangote is the only Northern Nigerian on my list and I remember being proud when he was featured on BBC's An African Journey with Jonathan Dimbleby where the presenter flew on Dangote's private jet and was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency of Dangote's factories.


Aliko Dangote

Although he has benefited from having friends in very high political places and his success isn't without controversy, I was personally impressed when he stated:

"[Nigerians] can be even bigger than me, you just have to believe that yes, there is a future in this country of ours. I don't believe we have even started doing anything in Nigeria because the opportunities are so enormous. If you give me $5 billion today, I will invest everything here in Nigeria."
Here's a man representing us in global business and who speaks of reinvesting into Nigeria as opposed to taking his money elsewhere. Sannu da aiki Alhaji Dangote!

9 comments:

  1. Just finished reading Purple Hibiscus and half of a yellow sun. Got them from my school library. It's been a very long time I have read novels I couldn't wait to see what happened next. These novels have renewed a deep appreciation for culture and a consciousness to every thing Nigerian. Hope to read the thing around your neck soon. Would definitely support Chimamanda by owning copies of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post wildflowers! Adichie gets better with each book, and The Thing Around Your Neck is her best in my opinion, you'll love it. I eagerly await her next book, and will review it here when it comes out.

    In the meantime, check out this link to some of her short stories (I've read them all!) http://www.l3.ulg.ac.be/adichie/cnaprimlinks.html#stories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I enjoyed your blog and I'm thrilled that you liked my book. Best wishes, Precious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for gracing my blog with your presence Precious! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These days, I'm not so keen to embrace Nigerian celebrities, maybe because my interactions with Nigerians are not very positive.
    Chiwetel Ejiofor, is lucky to be born with talent and looks and conducts himself in a responsible manner in public (low key and modest).
    Chimamanda Adichie - I've not read any of her books - no comment.
    Seun Osewa, - nairaland. The concept may have been good, but I stopped going there when I read about the poisonous things Southerners were saying about Northerners and visa versa. (The name calling reminded me of school days, when I experienced such things for being black) The vile anti-Muslim slurs being cast around and Nigerians taking pride in questionable connections about being descended from the Middle-East, rather than recognising that Nigeria in and of itself has something unique to offer.
    Alhaji Dangote
    I've been reading a lot about him this year. The man is really a dynamic visionary in a dark land, both literally and metaphorically. He made his wealth through genuine enterprise, not relying on political favours to land a contract to exploit the relatively easy on-shore oil deposits. Rather, he started with mundane cement (something that the Adenugas and Alakijas would have frowned upon) and went from there.
    He has invested outside of the 'core' North, to the South and indeed to other parts of Africa (from Senegal to Ethiopia, from Sudan to South Africa, he has substantial investments).
    He is the only blackman, I've read that has put his money where his mouth is, and invested heavily in other African countries (no other blackman has done that, even the rich African-Americans haven't done that). The man overcomes problems. He keeps fit, and maintains his traditional Hausa culture. I'm glad that he is a Nigerian. I think he is great.
    No mention of Prof Wole Soyinka, a free-thinker, rational and moderate man, one of the few credible public profile figures the country has.

    Cheers
    auchomage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi auchomage, I agree that there's a lot of tribalism and anti-Northern sentiment on Nairaland, but I learn so much about the mentality and motivations of Nigerians and there's a lot of humour and intelligent discussions going on too. I don't really visit the site anymore, but when I did I got a lot out of it.

      As for Soyinka, apart from seeing his play Death and the King's Horsemen years ago, I have no other experience of his work. I was just never drawn to him. But now that Achebe is dead, I believe Soyinka and Adichie are Nigeria's brightest stars.

      I hope you've signed up to get alerts of my future posts?

      Delete
    2. Fulani-Nigerian,
      Thanks for the response.

      I've not signed up for alerts, because I don't want my inbox to burst, it's enough of a battle keeping on top of things now.

      I've not read Soyinka's material. What I appreciate about him is that he utilises his public profile to put forward sensible, accurate and responsible points of view. (Which most prominent people there don't)

      I guess you're correct about Nairaland, I was so disgusted by what I was reading (hate filled comments), not to mention so much unfounded nonsense being banded about as fact, that was enough to drown out any positive aspects that may occur on the blog. I've no intention to revisit it.

      Have you heard of Jelani Aliyu (from Sokoto state, he may be Fulani, don't quote me on that), he really is a remarkable individual, and Chinedu Echeruo? People using the knowledge economy (in an honest manner), to make their fortunes. Knowledge is virtually inexhaustible, unlike raw materials, they were switched-on enough to realise that and exploit it, kudos to them & thank you,

      auchomage

      Delete
  6. David Olusoga won a BAFTA at last night's award ceremony for his documentary Britain's Forgotten Slave Owners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgaJyp8ix4M
    He's also written a book on the WW2 called The World's War which is available on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I actually watched the show but the name didn't ring a bell until your comment. I've also since noted Olusoga's many articles for The Guardian, his Twitter handle and many photos, none of which were available when I wrote this piece. Good stuff, and well done to him.

      Delete