23 April 2012

My Hausa Sweet Shop

I have a sweet tooth, so I love small, sweet snacks. As a child when I stayed in Kaduna, my parents will give us a few kobos and we would buy:

Alewa: small, white and yellow crumbly sweets
Dankuwa: spicy, brown dough balls made from millet and groundnuts, not so much sweet but moorish
Aya: tiny white nuts you chew and chew
Tom Tom: minty sweets


Tom Tom Minty Sweets


Then there's Chin chin made from sweet flour-dough that's fried; thin, dark brown sticky sweets (can't remember the name) and sweet, fried coconut shavings (can't remember their name either) that also remind me of Kaduna circa 1990.


Chin Chin

But these local sweets, especially Alewa, are impossible to find in the UK, so I settled for the normal penny sweets and chocolates. Then I travelled to America and realised that British chocolates were superior to American candy by far: I'll take a Kit Kat, Bounty, Mars, Snickers, Twix and co over a Hersheys and other peanut-butter flavoured candies any day.

But it was in America I re-discovered Dankuwa, when the mother of my ex sent him a whole bag-full, and as he didn't like it (it's an acquired taste) I got to enjoy Dankuwa for weeks.

Now I'm in Northern Nigeria, I've been very disappointed not to find all these sweets easily. I thought I'd come to Abuja and be able to buy these things in abundance, but nope. It seems that the sweets of my childhood aren't easy to locate any more.

I've managed to track down Dankuwa (in Jos though) and there's also chin chin aplenty which is great, but many others, especially my favourite Alewa, is none-locatable.

I think, many times, Nigerians under-value their traditional, local foods and products and only pour money into internationally accepted snacks. Many of the above mentioned delicasies are only sold by poor children/adults who walk around carrying the products on a tray on their heads.

I'm sure the thought of selling these things in a respectable establishment has occurred to someone, but those that produce them and even those that enjoy them often don't have the capital to do this, or are uneducated so cannot begin the process of  organised commerce.

Others look down on these products as not worthy of being mass produced on a grand scale as part of the food industry for national or even international consumption.

But I would love to open a Hausa Sweet Shop which will stock all these Northern delicasies in one place, and the first branch will be in Abuja. If there was a place like that now I'd be it's most faithful customer!


UPDATE
I've since discovered a couple of supermarkets in Abuja that sell Northern sweets, like Garki Supermarket that sells delicious alkalki, a sweet made of wheat and honey, as well as savoury treats like Danbon Nama (shredded meat) and my new favourite drink Fura da Nono, which is a Fulani speciality.

10 comments:

  1. And when you do, export them over to the U.K & the U.S. Nigerians here will thank you :) This wasn't sweet, but it was sour-sweet - Agwalimo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember Agwalimo! It's a fruit with a big stone in the middle right? Not sweet enough for me though ;)

    Sure, the Hausa Sweet Shop will open wherever there are Nigerians, which means it will be opened worldwide lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember all those. Gosh, you just made my mouth water.

    I love your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kiru, so I guess I can count on your patronage for a Hausa sweet shop in the UK/US right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just finished munching some Alewa brought to me from Nigeria to somewhere in England........It reminds me of my childhood days. Now I long to eat bambara and wara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to ask someone what bambara and wara is, and after they described it, I remember eating them!

      Just finished a pack of alkali myself. I have a dream, that one day, all these Fulani/Northern delicacies will all be available in one place.

      Delete
  6. I'm surprised to hear that fura da nono is now a drink. In my day, fura was a dough made with joro or dawa. Nono was the milk poured over the dough. Fura da nono was dough and milk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, these days the Fura is in small pieces and you drink it with the Nono. I've bought Fura da Nono from Fulani women who sell them in water bottles, so you can drink it straight from the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg brings back memories....I think I can make alewa madara and there's this snack Alanka kobo well the way it was called in some part of borno state,made from grated groundnuts and melted sugar.oooh and the tiny fried snacks like chin chin but made from milk powder and sugar.Do you also recall panke with sprinkled sugar ooooh my.And why don't I see guruba and taura fruits��
    Debbie Ogenyi
    Instagram:debiraay
    Twitter:@debiraay
    Debbieogenyi:hellopoetry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Debbie you're making my mouth water. A friend just brought alewa for me from Abuja, both the white sweet ones and the brown ginger-flavoured ones...mmmmm...

      Delete